4/11/11

Spring has Sprung!

The Farm theme has ended, and we are on to our next theme...SPRING

What a fun theme! We learn about weather and flowers and baby animals and even life cycles. This is a great theme because all of the subjects can get incorporated into it (like kindergarten should be). When I teach the Spring theme in reading, we can teach Spring in EVERY subject...the kids never stop learning about it.

So, I haven't officially started the Spring theme yet; I start it on Monday. I did, however, start planting flowers with my students! This is a long project, so I thought it best to start as early as possible, hoping the flowers bloom by the end of the school year.
I purchased 4 different types of flower seeds, some soil, and 8 flower buckets from Target ( I think my total came to about $12.00!!)  Each student got to choose the flower they wanted to grow and plant their own seeds. I wrote their name on the flower pot and attached a picture of what we hope the flowers will look like.

The students are so excited to watch the flowers grow. I told them "You are responsible for your flowers growing. You are responsible for watching your flower, watering your flower and recording what happens to your flower". To which one of my students says, "Yea! That is why it has our names on the flowers and not yours". *Good Point hahah*
I also created a flower journal for my students to keep track of their flowers progress, which I will attach soon!

So...here are the pictures of the students picking their flowers and planting them. They also watched their flowers for at least 5 minutes thinking they would just sprout up, it was cute :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment